Friday, June 29, 2012

The Alphabet Challenge: 'G'

I'm modest in just about everything; I'm downright un-compliment-able. But I will be completely honest here: I have perfected the art of the grilled cheese sandwich. Yeah, I said it. And you know what? It's not even that big of an achievement. Just preheat a panini press or a frying pan and grab some margarine/butter spread, bread, and whatever meltable cheese you find tasty and you can probably make a killer grilled cheese RIGHT NOW (I know this is lame, but I needed a 'G' word and I already have 'H' ready to publish. Plus, some preteens might not know how to make a quick, cheap lunch so I could be saving a life). First, very carefully smear a conservative layer of butter one side of each slice of bread. This will be the outside of the sandwich. The butter helps the bread to brown and crisp before the bread dries out like toast. Now, I like brown mustard inside my grilled cheese just because it keeps it from tasting too rich, so this is the point where I would spread on a thin layer of mustard. Many people don't realize that a grilled cheese is the perfect way to utilize leftovers. Anything that can be laid flat on a piece of bread is fair game, so don't stick to the usual deli ham. I've made a grilled cheese with caramelized onions and blue cheese (on top of swiss, not just blue cheese), tomato slices, kale, and, in my meat-eating days, leftover steak. You certainly have room to get creative. Now, before your bread starts burning, set the cheese slices on one slice of bread and add your fantastic little toppings onto that slice. Without burning your fingers, top the cheese-bread with the other piece of bread (crispy side up) and flip it so the cheese can saturate the chunky stuff on top of it. Brown both sides to your preference and transfer to a plate to cut it on the diagonal and serve/consume before it gets cold!

Peace, love, and lazy-food,
Auzzy

P.S. Don't set your kitchen/clothes/hair on fire and don't burn anything, including your hands. Don't eat too many of these because you'll get fat/fatter. Don't put pasta/rice/any other grains on it because I can pretty much guarantee that it'll be yuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment