Friday, June 29, 2012

The Alphabet Challenge: 'E'

Yes, I am of the Order of the Vegetable Perfectionists. As a foodie gone vegetarian, I won't settle for poorly-executed vegetation. So it's only natural for me to take a vegetable that I have never liked, eggplant, and turn it into something I'd enjoy. During my trip to California (which was incredible) we made a stop at Macaroni Grill and I tried the first eggplant parmigiana that I have ever wanted to consume (it was beautiful) and as soon as we came home, I had to try recreating it; it's remarkably simple. I rinsed and sliced the eggplant in a few 1/2 inch thick slices and froze the rest (I'm the only vegetarian in the house). I oiled, salted, and peppered the slices and threw them in the oven or 7 minutes (or until soft, depending on how thick you slice it). Then I pulled them out, dredged the slices in egg whites and breadcrumbs seasoned with Parmesan cheese and some dried herbs, then let them crisp up in the oven until the breadcrumbs are browned. I also breaded some chicken breasts for the rest of my family (no egg whites necessary) and baked until the thickest part of the meat reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If the bottom sides are soggy-looking, flip halfway through so that the underside can crisp as well. Once you're satisfied with the crispiness of your eggplant/chicken, place a thin slice of fresh mozzarella on each and set them under the broiler until bubbly. As for the pasta and sauce, I'm not giving away my secrets just yet~

Peace, love, and non-health-food veggies,
Auzzy

No comments:

Post a Comment