Friday, June 29, 2012

The Alphabet Challenge: 'D'

This post is wayyy overdue. All hail the "drunken" bananas foster muffins! About 3 weeks ago, I made these banana nut muffins (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/banana-nut-muffins-recipe/index.html), but I wanted to make them a little special. First off, I used walnuts instead of pecans. Not that I have anything against pecans; I just had walnuts on hand. Then I thought "Bananas are ok, but you know what's better? Bananas Foster. And you know what's more fun than just baking regular old muffins? Baking them and then hitting them with a flame torch. That's right. I'm burning muffins," and that is how these little drunkards were conceived. To make this already-perfectly-fine recipe Auzz-esque, simply add a table spoon of creme de banana and a table spoon of your darkest rum (or your parents' darkest run, if your like me and you're 16) instead of vanilla (which is booze anyway). (Yes, my parents let me cook/bake with alcohol because I'm trustworthy and I don't have friends to take advantage of it. I feel that being around alcohol and allowed to use it as an ingredient instead of as a form of recreation has made me less susceptible to peer pressure. Plus I don't want to drink) Then, instead of just a half cup of walnuts, I threw the half cup into the batter and then, after pouring it into the muffin tins, I topped them with a tasty little crust of halved nuts and oats. After baking, I then drizzled a syrup made of dark rum and brown sugar and made a light crust of brown sugar and torched the top to form a flambéed crust that made the whole creation taste just like the bananas foster pancakes that I make for special occasions. 
He's a little tipsy
Then wait overnight for all the alcohol to evaporate if you are underage, all though the alcohol incorporated wouldn't be enough to give anyone even a hint of a buzz. It's just for flavor. Please don't email me calling me an alcoholic with bad parents. It's a muffin, not a keg of beer. I challenge you to make my parents feel bad for this. 


Peace, love, and bad photography,
Auzzy


No comments:

Post a Comment